Practical Based Teaching
This session will help demonstrators to consider in more depth how
their role in a practical class complements the lecturer and how they can
take responsibility for helping the students to get the most from the practical.
To help participants plan and teach a practical class.
This session will help participants to:
• define the purpose of practical-based teaching and discuss their
role within it;
• discuss the interactions between teaching assistants and other
members of staff and students;
• prepare themselves prior to a practical class;
• identify the skills necessary to operate effectively as a teacher
within practical sessions;
• understand the range of skills that practical classes can help
students to develop;
• explore the ways in which language and attitude can affect communication;
• critically evaluate a number of incidents occurring in practical
classes and identify appropriate courses of action.
positive attitude towards demonstrating”
“Very interactive. I feel I came away with a lot, Fun”
“Exchanging views with people. A variety of teaching methods”